Initially launched in 2012, the Outspoken Generation series is an advocacy initiative highlighting the stories of those with LGBTQ+ parents.
New York, NY — This week, Family Equality relaunched their Outspoken Generation series to uplift the voices and stories of those with LGBTQ+ parents. Family Equality proudly announces the relaunch of its renowned Outspoken Generation series, a platform dedicated to empowering individuals with LGBTQ+ parents to share their stories and advocate for family equality.
The first entry in the Outspoken Generation series is a story written by Julie Schanke Lyford (she/her) whose dad came out as gay 40 years ago.
Lyford writes, “I grew up in small-town Iowa, which, during the early 1980s when he came out to me, was not a welcoming place for anybody who went against heteronormativity.”
The Outspoken Generation program, originally unveiled in 2012, aims to champion the voices of those raised by LGBTQ+ parents. These advocates play a crucial role in dispelling myths, combating misinformation, and fostering a more inclusive dialogue surrounding family values on local, state, and national levels.
“In a time when so much attention is spent on the anti-LGBTQ+ legislation and hate, we owe it to our queer community to share stories of joy, stories of triumph, and stories of hope,” said Family Equality President and CEO, Jaymes Black. “The stories shared by our Outspoken Generation advocates will inspire change.”
In many corners of the U.S., LGBTQ+ parents have openly and proudly raised their children, instilling values of truth and love. Now, as many of these children enter their late teens, early twenties, and beyond, they are stepping forward to share their experiences and reshape the national narrative on family dynamics.
The relaunch of the Outspoken Generation series marks a significant milestone in the ongoing efforts to promote understanding, acceptance, and equality for LGBTQ+ families. By providing a platform for these individuals to speak out, Family Equality intends to inspire positive change and challenge preconceived notions about diverse family structures.
Key highlights of the Outspoken Generation relaunch include:
- Authentic Stories: The series features authentic and compelling stories from individuals who have grown up with LGBTQ+ parents, offering a firsthand perspective on the joys, challenges, and unique experiences within these families.
- Advocacy Across Levels: Many Outspoken Generation advocates actively engage in advocacy work at the local, state, and national levels, working towards legal and societal recognition of LGBTQ+ families. All of the Outspoken Generation advocates change hearts and minds with their visibility and willingness to share their family’s story and experiences.
- Dispelling Myths: Through sharing personal narratives, these advocates contribute to dispelling myths and misinformation surrounding LGBTQ+ families, fostering a more informed and inclusive societal conversation.
- Shaping Family Values Discourse: The Outspoken Generation series plans to play a pivotal role in reshaping the national discourse on family values by highlighting the love, strength, and resilience present in LGBTQ+ families.
Family Equality invites media outlets, influencers, and the public to join in amplifying these important voices and fostering a society that values and celebrates the diversity of family structures.
Black shared, “The kids are indeed, alright, and their stories will play a pivotal role in shaping the family narrative in the months and years ahead.”
About Family Equality
Family Equality is creating a world where everyone can experience the love, safety, and belonging of family. As the leading national organization for current and future LGBTQ+ families, we work to ensure that everyone has the freedom to find, form, and sustain their families by advancing LGBTQ+ equality through advocacy, support, storytelling, and education.
# # #
Communications & Marketing
(765) 490-4709 / firstname.lastname@example.org